About This Strategy - [Return to Top]
Assets Under Management (AUM): $0.131M (in US$ millions)
Required Minimum: 100,000
Benchmark used: S&P 400 Midcap Total Return
Strategy type: All Cap
Strategy description: The Enhanced BRI strategy is an all-equity strategy. Horizon believes its enhanced BRI strategy can achieve outperformance by applying quantitative overlays to a universe of stocks already screened and vetted for BRI principles. BRI screening is done by IW Financial, a leader in social and faith-based investment screening. The starting universe for the strategy are stocks with market capitalizations greater than $4 billion that pass various BRI screens created by IW Financial. Stocks that successfully pass these screens are then evaluated by Horizon’s proprietary Quadrix® stock-rating system. The 30-40 highest-scoring stocks from the screened universe in terms of Quadrix Overall score typically make it into the portfolio. Initial individual positions are approximately equal-weighted and typically held for 12 months, at which time the equity portfolio is rebalanced and reconstituted depending on the results of Horizon’s quantitative methodology. Changes to the equities may occur more frequently than annually in the event of takeovers or other corporate actions. For the initial investment selection, no sector typically can account for more than 25% of the total portfolio. While the portfolio may be 100% invested in stocks, cash and fixed-income investments may be held depending on macro market conditions.
Strategy web link: External Link
About The Company - [Return to Top]
Horizon Investment Services, LLC
Approach to Sustainable & Responsible Investment: Horizon Investment Services, LLC is a registered investment advisor. We believe there is the ability to generate alpha (a return that cannot be attributed to the market) by applying a strong investment overlay to a universe of stocks chosen primarily for their SRI characteristics.
Total AUM in SRI: $18.4M (in US$ millions)
Research conducted: Externally
Researcher name: MSCI
7412 Calumet Ave
Hammond, Indiana 46324-2692
Web: http://www.HorizonInvestment.com (Opens in a new window)
Specific Screening Information by Category - [Return to Top]
- Climate / Clean Technology: No Screens
- Pollution / Toxics: No Screens
- Other Environmental: No Screens
- Community Development: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies - IW Financial screens for Community involvement policies and programs, Political policies and disclosure, lobbying expenses, predatory lending, community reinvestment act rating.
- Diversity & Equal Employment Opportunity: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies - IW Financial screens for EEOC disciplinary action. No screens for Diversity.
- Human Rights: No Screens
- Labor Relations: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies - IW Financial screens for AFL-CIO boycott list, strikes or labor actions, unionization, workforce disclosure/policy, employee benefits,
- Board Issues: No Screens
- Executive Pay: No Screens
- Alcohol: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies - IW Financial screens for any involvement in alcohol manufacturing, branding, wholesale distribution, reatil sales, consumable alcohol inputs, non-consumable alcohol inputs, alcohol manufacturing.wholesale revenue band, consumable and/or non-consumable alcohol inputs revenue band.
- Animal Welfare: No Screens
- Defense/Weapons: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies - IW Financial screens for any involvement Conventional weapons/revenue band, nuclear weapons/revenue band, non-weapons defense involvement/revenue band, landmines and cluster munitions/revenue band, Firearms or ammunition manufacturing/revenue band, firearms or ammunition retail sale/revenue band.
- Gambling: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies - IW Financial screens for any involvement Gambling operations/revenue band and online gaming.
- Tobacco: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies - IW Financial screens for any involvement tobacco manufacturing/revenue band, tobacco wholesale distribution, tobacco industry suppliers/revenue band, tobacco retail sales
- Other/Qualitative: IW Financial screens for any involvement Adult Entertainment including: adult media, sexually explicit internet operations, adult software or video games, sexually explicit live performance, adult entertainment production or distribution revenue band. IW Financial screens for any involvement Bioethics including: adult, umbilical or placenta stem cell research, embryonic stem cell or fetal tissue research, stem cell research supplies or service, stem cell derived revenue band. IW Financial screens for any involvement Life/Choice including: Abortifacient manufacturing, emergency contraceptive manufacturing, non-emergency contraceptive manufacturing, contraceptive/abortifacient marketing, abortion services, medical facilities, planned parenthood contributions, contraceptives/abortifacient revenue band.