About This Strategy - [Return to Top]
Assets Under Management (AUM): $3M (in US$ millions)
Required Minimum: --
Benchmark used: S&P 500 Composite Total Return
Strategy type: Equity Specialty
Strategy description: With our long/short global value ESG strategy, we seek to make long-term investments in high quality public companies we believe are undervalued and will create enduring value for our investors over the long-term. At the same time, we will sell short the shares of companies we believe are low quality to generate attractive risk-adjusted returns, to reduce portfolio volatility, or to hedge market risk. We expect to make significant investments in our high conviction ideas, which means we will invest in a limited number of portfolio companies. When we conduct our fundamental analysis, we evaluate companies with respect to environmental, social, and governance (ESG) factors to identify strong performers for prospective long investments and also to identify weak performers for prospective short investments. Because we are go-anywhere value investors, we do not place limitations on securities or asset classes where we may invest. This alternative strategy may include, but is not limited to, long or short positions in equities, commodity-related securities, open and closed-end funds, fixed income securities of any variant, ETFs, ETNs, business trusts, real estate fund companies, derivatives, and publicly-traded partnerships; we will make investments in companies of any market capitalization or geography. The strategy may go long or short at any one time.
Strategy web link: External Link
About The Company - [Return to Top]
Appleseed Capital, division of Pekin Singer Strauss Asset Management
Approach to Sustainable & Responsible Investment: Founded in 1990 and based in Chicago, IL Appleseed Capital is the impact focused investment group within Pekin Singer Strauss Asset Management. Appleseed Capital strategies employ a go-anywhere value approach that integrates Environmental, Social and Corporate Governance (ESG) criteria. Our primary investment goal has always been the preservation of capital, balanced against generating attractive rates of return over the long-term. We consider ourselves to be risk-averse investors; we focus as much time and energy seeking to avoid downside risk as we do seeking to generate positive returns for our investors.
Total AUM in SRI: $190M (in US$ millions)
Research conducted: Internally
Researcher name: Portfolio Managers
Specific Screening Information by Category - [Return to Top]
- Climate / Clean Technology: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies - While screening out criteria defined as companies that produce or refine coal, oil and gas, oil field services, equipment companies, and pipeline operators, we seek out investments in alternative energies such as solar and wind power. We also seek to invest in undervalued companies which are reducing the need for energy or providing alternative transportation products and services that reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- Pollution / Toxics: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment
- Other Environmental: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies - We look for to invest in undervalued companies with strong environmental records and ideally who market a product or service which is beneficial for the environment.
- Diversity & Equal Employment Opportunity: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies
- Human Rights: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies
- Labor Relations: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies
- Sudan: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment
- Board Issues: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies
- Executive Pay: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies
- Alcohol: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment
- Animal Welfare: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies
- Defense/Weapons: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment
- Gambling: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment
- Tobacco: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment
- Shareholder Engagement - Shareholder Resolutions: Filed or co-filed with companies on environmental, social or governance issues
- Shareholder Engagement - Private Dialogue: Conducted with companies on environmental, social or governance issues
- Proxy Voting: Actively voted by my institution for this investment strategy in support of environmental, social or governance issues in accordance with formal guidelines