Assets under management (AUM): --
General Fund Type: Equity Large Cap
Specific Sizes or Types of Investments: --
Financial Objective: Long-term capital appreciation
Specific ESG Focus: General ESG criteria (Please see screening categories.)
To invest, call: (800) 233-4332
Sentinel Asset Management, Inc.
Mutual Funds Description: Headquartered in Montpelier, Vermont, Sentinel Asset Management, Inc. (“Sentinel” or “the Firm”) is a diversified asset management firm offering US equity, international equity, and fixed income asset management services in mutual fund, corporate, and sub-advisory accounts. The firm is dedicated to fundamental bottom-up research, and attentive to managing downside risk with the goal of achieving consistent returns over time. For our sustainable funds, our time tested approach blends investment principles and environmental, social, and governance analysis to create portfolio that link sustainable and responsible business practices with financial performance.
One National Life Dr., Ste. M495
Web: http://www.sentinelinvestments.com (Opens in a new window)
Minimum Account: $1,000 minimum initial investment, or $50 with automatic investment plan (AIP)
$1,000 minimum initial investment, or $50 with automatic investment plan (AIP)
Screening Venue: In-house
Sentinel sustainable investing research analysts
Screening Database Used:
Internal proprietary database
Sentinel's analysts first review a company's Web site and annual report to determine if it passes the exclusionary screens. The exclusionary screens eliminate companies that produce alcohol, tobacco, weapons, nuclear power, have gambling as a primary business, or lack diversity at the board or senior levels of management. If a company passes the exclusionary screens, a full qualitative screening is then initiated.
When conducting a qualitative screen, analysts use annual reports, proxy statements, codes of conduct, third-party research, government sources, and other publicly available resources. Based on this information, the company's performance in each of the following categories is evaluated: corporate governance, business practices, community relations, environmental performance, supply chain management, diversity, human rights, and labor. Within each of these categories, the sustainable investing research team looks at an extensive array of issues including, but not limited to, environmental policies, goals and initiatives; animal testing; labor relations; health and safety records; board and management accountability and transparency; and business ethics.
Proxy Voting Guidelines or Policies: Open external link in new window
Proxy Voting Records: Open external link in new window
- Climate / Clean Technology: Positive Investment - Seek to invest in companies providing innovative approaches to address climate change challenges.
- Pollution / Toxics: Positive Investment - Seek to invest in companies with sustainable solutions to mitigate their negative impact.
- Other Environmental: Positive Investment - Seek companies with robust EMS and policies addressing renewable energy, recycling, and water use.
- Diversity & Equal Employment Opportunity: Positive Investment - There must be one element of diversity on the board or in the top two levels of management.
- Human Rights: Positive Investment - Seek to invest in companies with strong human rights records.
- Labor Relations: Positive Investment - Seek to invest in companies that have strong labor practices and safety records.
- Board Issues: Positive Investment - Seek companies with governance policies that promote independence, accountability, and transparency.
- Executive Pay: Positive Investment - Review executive pay for consistency with industry norms and company performance.
- Alcohol: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment - No involvement, other than de minimis, in the production of beverage alcohol
- Animal Welfare: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment - Favor companies that seek alternatives to animal testing when not required by law.
- Defense/Weapons: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment - No material involvement in the manufacture of weapons or weapons-specific components
- Gambling: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment - Gambling cannot be a primary line of business.
- Tobacco: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment - No involvement, other than de minimis, in the production of tobacco
- Shareholder Engagement - Private Dialogue: Conducted with companies on environmental, social or governance issues
Year-to-date rate of return: --
1-year rate of return: --
3-year rate of return: --
5-year rate of return: --
10-year rate of return: --
Previous year rate of return: --
Management fee: --
Expense ratio: --
Standard deviation: --
Benchmark used: S&P 500 Composite Total Return
Disclaimer: Before investing, carefully consider a fund’s objectives, risks, charges and expenses. Summary and full prospectuses containing this and other information are available from sentinelinvestments.com. Please read them carefully. Sentinel Investments is the unifying brand name for Sentinel Financial Services Company, Sentinel Asset Management, Inc., and Sentinel Administrative Services, Inc., Sentinel Funds are distributed by Sentinel Financial Services Company, One National Life Drive, Montpelier, VT 05604, 800.233.4332, www.sentinelinvestments.com.