Assets under management (AUM): $429.4M (in US$ millions) - See other performance data below
General Fund Type: International, Global, Foreign
Specific Sizes or Types of Investments: Natural Resources
Financial Objective: The Fund seeks growth of capital through investment in equity securities of companies active in the water-related resource sector.
Specific ESG Focus: The Fund seeks to invest in companies that produce or market safe water-related products, services and technologies that enhance access and affordability, public health, and quality of life. Calvert believes that equitable access to water is a fundamental human right. The Fund will take into account the specific human rights and Indigenous Peoples’ Rights issues related to the sector, as well as those pertaining to environmental as well as governance commitments and performance. In seeking to achieve the Fund’s investment objective, investments are selected for financial soundness as well as evaluated according to the Fund’s threshold responsibility standards with respect to tobacco, weapons and human rights. Investments for the Fund must be consistent with the Fund’s current investment criteria, including financial factors and threshold responsibility standards.
To invest, call: 800-368-2748
Calvert Research and Management
Mutual Funds Description: Established in 1976, Calvert is a diversified investment management firm serving individual and institutional investors. Offers a wide array of products including more than 40 equity and fixed income mutual funds, workplace retirement options, and a national 529 college savings program. Recognized as a leader in taxable bond investing, Calvert also manages the largest family of mutual funds in the US that feature integrated environmental, social, and governance research.
Minimum Account: $1,000,000
Screening Venue: In-house
Calvert’s Sustainability Analysts and KBI International
Screening Database Used:
Calvert Proprietary Database
The Fund has the following threshold responsibility standards, which are applied in determining whether a security qualifies as an investment for the Fund: • The Fund will seek to avoid investing in companies that manufacture tobacco products. • The Fund will seek to avoid investing in companies that manufacture, design or sell weapons or the critical components of weapons that violate international humanitarian law or that are inherently offensive weapons. • The Fund will critically evaluate companies that contribute directly to governments that are under U.S. or international sanction for grave human rights abuses such as genocide or forced labor. As the corporate responsibility and sustainability objectives long supported by Calvert have become more mainstream concerns, Calvert has observed significant new commitments to address environmental, social and governance issues on the part of many companies. The Fund acknowledges and encourages such progress, including that on the part of companies which may be in the early stages of addressing the most critical risks and/or opportunities facing the industry. Engagement for the Fund will encourage companies to reinforce key areas of progress and to address legacy or current issues where commitment and performance continue to lag. Engagement will urge companies to pursue sustainability leadership opportunities where possible, especially in the context of promoting sound environmental management and equitable access to water around the world.
Proxy Voting Guidelines or Policies: Open external link in new window
Proxy Voting Records: Open external link in new window
- Climate / Clean Technology: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies - The Fund normally invests at least 80% of its net assets in equity securities of U.S. and non-U.S. companies whose main business is in the water sector or are significantly involved in water related services or technologies.
- Pollution / Toxics: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies
- Other Environmental: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies
- Community Development: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies
- Diversity & Equal Employment Opportunity: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies
- Human Rights: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies
- Labor Relations: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies
- Board Issues: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies
- Executive Pay: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies
- Alcohol: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment
- Animal Welfare: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment
- Defense/Weapons: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment
- Gambling: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment
- Tobacco: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment
- Shareholder Engagement - Private Dialogue: Conducted with companies on environmental, social or governance issues
Year-to-date rate of return: 23.81%
1-year rate of return: 19.8%
3-year rate of return: 9.34%
5-year rate of return: 4.09%
10-year rate of return: --
Previous year rate of return: -13.25%
Management fee: 0.85%
Expense ratio: 0.93%
Standard deviation: 16.06%
Benchmark used: S-Network Global Water TR USD | External link (Opens in a new window)
Disclaimer: Investment in mutual funds involves risk, including the possible loss of principal invested. The Fund is subject to the risk that stocks that comprise the water-related sector may fall in value. The water industry can be significantly affected by a number of factors, including availability of water, the level of rainfall, water consumption, price and supply fluctuations, and government regulations and policies. A downturn in the water-related resource sector would impact the Fund more than a fund that does not concentrate in this industry, and the Fund therefore may be more volatile than a typical mutual fund. Foreign investments involve greater risks than U.S. investments, including political and economic risks and the risk of currency fluctuations. The Fund is non-diversified and may be more volatile than a diversified fund.