Assets under management (AUM): $1199.88M (in US$ millions) - See other performance data below
General Fund Type: International, Global, Foreign
Specific Sizes or Types of Investments: Primarily mid- large cap companies located in Europe, Asia-Pacific region and throughout the rest of the world that meet Domini's social/environmental standards.
Financial Objective: Long-term total return
Specific ESG Focus: Domini's Global Investment Standards focus on two objectives: universal human dignity and environmental sustainability. All current and prospective holdings are measured against our comprehensive social, environmental and governance standards to seek to evaluate each company's response to the key sustainability challenges it faces, within the context of its industry and business model.
To invest, call: 800-762-6814
Domini Social Investments LLC
Mutual Funds Description: Built on the fundamental belief that the way you invest matters. We offer mutual funds that let you pursue your financial goals while making a difference worldwide, working for change on issues ranging from sweatshop labor to climate change. For information, call 1-800-762-6814 or visit www.domini.com.
Minimum Account: $2,500 (or $1,500 w/automatic investment plan)
Screening Venue: In-house
Domini Social Investments
Screening Database Used:
Domini's Global Investment Standards focus on two objectives: universal human dignity and environmental sustainability. In applying our standards to companies, Domini's in-house research team evaluates both the alignment of a company's business model with these goals and the strength of a company's stakeholder relations, focusing on key indicators in both areas. Our evaluation of business alignment takes into account each company's core business model and assesses its implications for social and environmental sustainability. A company's business model may fall on a scale ranging from fundamental alignment to fundamental misalignment with our standards. Our analysts also evaluate companies' record of stakeholder relations. Depending upon business model alignment, Domini sets corresponding thresholds for the company's relationships with its key stakeholders.
Domini's equity funds are submanged by Wellington Management Company, one of the industry's most respected investment management firms. Domini and Wellington each operate in its respective area of expertise; Domini by incorporating social and environmental standards into the selection of companies eligible for investment and Wellington by applying its quantitative investment discipline into the construction of the actual portfolio. This unique combination of Domini's industry-leading social research and strong shareholder activism program with Wellington Management's disciplined quantitative portfolio management process creates an investment approach that fully integrates the financial and social objectives of the socially-responsible investor.
Proxy Voting Guidelines or Policies: Open external link in new window
Proxy Voting Records: Open external link in new window
- Climate / Clean Technology: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies - Climate change is a theme that affects multiple industries and sectors. Domini seeks to avoid investment in companies that are the worst contributors to climate change, and to include companies with strong energy efficiency measures or that offer climate solutions. We also engage directly with our holdings on a range of climate change issues.
- Pollution / Toxics: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies - We favor companies that have a record of handling today's pollution challenges effectively and without regulatory controversy, while developing more sustainable practices for tomorrow.
- Other Environmental: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies - Our environmental analysis includes consideration of renewable and alternative energy sources, eco-efficiency/resource conservation, recycling, safer technologies, and lifecycle design, pollution control and abatement. Nuclear power excluded.
- Community Development: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies - Generous and innovative philanthropy, collaborative community partnerships, fair tax dealings; restricted investment in predatory lending.
- Diversity & Equal Employment Opportunity: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies - Women and minorities represented in management positions; open work environment for minority groups
- Human Rights: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies - Endorsement of international norms and standards, respect for indigenous peoples and cultures
- Labor Relations: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies - Continuous health & safety improvements, fair and just compensation, solidarity with unionized workforce
- Conflict Risk: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment - Respect for human rights is a fundamental consideration for us. We take a pragmatic approach, recognizing that corporations often operate in difficult environments, including countries where the state is either hostile to human rights protections or cannot fulfill its duties. Global companies face numerous controversies in their day-to-day operations, including many that indicate a company is failing to live up to its responsibilities. Domini seeks to avoid investment in such companies for our mutual funds, including those with significant connections to the government of Sudan.
- Board Issues: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies - Honest accounting practices, openness in communications, commitment to diversity. Domini votes against all boards that have no women or minority directors, and has strong voting policies on board independence, including opposing all non-independent chairs.
- Executive Pay: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies - Although executive compensation is rarely a deciding factor in our investment decisions, we do monitor this area and set absolute caps on compensation in our proxy voting policies.
- Alcohol: No Investment - No investment in companies that derive significant revenues from the manufacture of alcoholic beverages
- Animal Welfare: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment - Look for company minimizing use of animals in required safety tests and investing and advocating in use of new testing technologies as substitute for animals.
- Defense/Weapons: No Investment - No investment in companies deriving significant revenues from the manufacture of military weapons. The Fund also excludes nuclear power based on environmental concerns and concerns relating to nuclear weapons proliferation.
- Gambling: No Investment - No investment in companies that are significant providers of gambling goods and services.
- Tobacco: No Investment - No investment in companies that derive significant revenues from the manufacture of tobacco products.
- Other/Qualitative: Please visit our website for more information about the social, environmental and governance standards we apply to our investments (http://www.domini.com/GlobInvStd/index.htm)and quarterly reports on our shareholder activism work (http://www.domini.com/shareholder-advocacy/index.htm).
- Shareholder Engagement - Shareholder Resolutions: Filed or co-filed with companies on environmental, social or governance issues
- Shareholder Engagement - Private Dialogue: Conducted with companies on environmental, social or governance issues
- Description of Shareholder Engagement: At Domini, we seek to influence corporations through shareholder activism. This includes direct dialogue with corporate management, the filing of shareholder proposals, and the principled use of proxy voting. In pursuing our clients’ sustainability objectives, we seek to influence the actions of corporations on a wide range of social, environmental and governance issues. When we have a concern with a company, we often begin by encouraging corporate management to come to the table to discuss our concerns. Shareholder proposals are an important part of the corporate governance process, and have been instrumental in raising emerging issues and changing corporate practices. Since 1994, Domini has filed more than 250 shareholder proposals at more than 95 different corporations.
Year-to-date rate of return: 11.88%
1-year rate of return: 6.19%
3-year rate of return: 5.12%
5-year rate of return: 3.81%
10-year rate of return: 6.07%
Previous year rate of return: -16.23%
Management fee: 0.9%
Expense ratio: 1.53%
Standard deviation: 14.75%
Benchmark used: MSCI EAFE Equity
Disclaimer: The Domini International Social Equity Fund is not insured and is subject to market risks. Investing internationally involves special risks, such as currency fluctuations, social and economic instability, differing securities regulations and accounting standards, limited public information, possible changes in taxation, and periods of illiquidity. You may lose money. You should consider the Domini Funds' investment objectives, risks, charges and expenses carefully before investing. View or order a copy of the Funds' current prospectus for more complete information on these and other topics. Please read the prospectus carefully before investing or sending money. Obtain a copy of the Funds' current prospectus for more complete information on these and other topics by calling (800)762-6814.