Assets under management (AUM): $98.58M (in US$ millions) - See other performance data below
General Fund Type: Equity Mid-Small Cap
Specific Sizes or Types of Investments: --
Financial Objective: Long term capital growth
Specific ESG Focus: Seeks companies with innovative products, services or processes related to investment themes with long term investment potential including connectivity, education, energy solutions, healthy living, medical care, resource efficiency, underserved markets, waste reduction, and workplace leaders.
To invest, call: Lindsey Lane, Business Development Analyst, 617-726-7257
Walden Asset Management
Minimum Account: $100,000
Screening Venue: In-house
Walden Asset Management/Boston Trust
Screening Database Used:
In house only
The Walden Small Cap Innovations Fund seeks to identify companies with innovative products, services or processes leveraged to secular market trends with long-term investment potential. These secular trends may include demographics, consumer lifestyle, an increasingly technical workforce, or legal and regulatory issues. Based on these trends, current investment themes include: Connectivity, Education, Energy Solutions, Healthy Living, Medical Care, Resource Efficiency, Underserved Markets, Waste Reduction and Workplace Leaders. Walden believes that the sustainability of a business is connected, in part, to its treatment of workers, customers, communities and the natural environment as valuable, long-term assets.
Beyond identifying companies with innovative products, services and processes for the Fund, Walden researches and evaluates potential holdings in five broad areas of concern: products and services, environmental impact, workplace conditions, community relations and corporate governance. In doing so, Walden understands that companies are complex entities that generally exhibit a range of corporate conduct, from commendable to objectionable, across various dimensions of ESG performance. In addition, company performance can improve or erode over time, especially relative to peers. Hence, in each of the five broad areas identified above, and notwithstanding other investment considerations, Walden favors companies judged to demonstrate best practices relative to peers, improvement over time, robust management systems, and accountability through standardized public reporting and responsiveness to shareholders.
Walden, on behalf of the Walden Funds, also pursues shareholder advocacy strategies - proxy voting, company dialogues, shareholder resolutions and public policy advocacy - to promote greater corporate social responsibility and encourage sustainable business practices. Additionally, if the ESG performance of a company in the Walden Funds is perceived to have weakened over time, Walden considers the potential for effective shareholder advocacy in deciding whether to hold or sell the company.
Proxy Voting Guidelines or Policies: Open external link in new window
Proxy Voting Records: Open external link in new window
- Climate / Clean Technology: Positive Investment - Walden Asset Management shares our clients’ deep concern regarding climate change. To achieve the global emissions reduction required to avoid catastrophic climate change, we believe that priority number one is to develop, enact, and enforce strong public policies that place a price on carbon. Since U.S. and global economic growth remain inextricably linked to fossil fuel use during the transition to a more carbon-constrained environment, the Walden mutual funds pursue a multi-pronged approach that integrates climate change risk in investment decision-making, corporate engagement, and public policy advocacy. Walden favors investment in companies with products and processes promoting energy efficiency and natural resource conservation; strong and transparent greenhouse gas reduction policies, goals, programs, and results; and supportive and consistent public policy positions. More proactively, Walden looks for opportunities to invest in companies with innovative, solutions-oriented technologies such as energy and fuel efficiency, carbon sequestration or renewable energy development. Walden’s investment approach results in portfolios with favorable carbon footprints relative to those of comparable benchmarks.
- Pollution / Toxics: Positive Investment - Proactively seeks companies with innovative products, services or processes with respect to secular trends such as energy solutions, resource efficiency and waste reduction.
- Other Environmental: Positive Investment - Proactively seeks companies with innovative products, services or processes with respect to secular trends such as energy solutions, resource efficiency and waste reduction.
- Community Development: Positive Investment - Proactively seeks companies that address the unique demands of specific markets, communities and geographic areas in underserved markets.
- Diversity & Equal Employment Opportunity: Positive Investment - Proactively seeks companies with superior workplace practices such as comprehensive benefits and work-life programs.
- Human Rights: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment - Avoid companies believed to have significant complicity in serious violations of human rights.
- Labor Relations: Positive Investment - Proactively seeks companies with superior workplace practices such as comprehensive benefits and work-life programs.
- Alcohol: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment - Avoid companies that derive significant revenues from the manufacture of alcoholic beverages.
- Animal Welfare: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment - Avoid companies with significant substandard performances on animal testing (inadequate policies on humane treatment, minimizing use, support of alternative testing).
- Defense/Weapons: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment - Avoid companies that derive significant revenues from the manufacture of weapons.
- Gambling: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment - Avoid companies that derive significant revenues from gaming activities.
- Tobacco: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment - Avoid companies that derive significant revenues from the manufacture of tobacco products.
- Shareholder Engagement - Shareholder Resolutions: Filed or co-filed with companies on environmental, social or governance issues
- Shareholder Engagement - Private Dialogue: Conducted with companies on environmental, social or governance issues
Year-to-date rate of return: 3.09%
1-year rate of return: 14.26%
3-year rate of return: 12.48%
5-year rate of return: 11.2%
10-year rate of return: --
Previous year rate of return: 23.96%
Management fee: 0.75%
Expense ratio: 1%
Standard deviation: 8.11%
Benchmark used: Russell 2000