Assets under management (AUM): $2270.3M (in US$ millions) - See other performance data below
General Fund Type: Equity Mid-Small Cap
Specific Sizes or Types of Investments: Market capitalization between $1 billion and $7.5 billion; mutual fund
Financial Objective: Long-term capital appreciation
Specific ESG Focus: Ariel Fund does not invest in corporations whose primary source of revenue is derived from: the production or sale of tobacco products or the manufacture of handguns.
To invest, call: (800) 292-7435
Mutual Funds Description: Ariel offers four publicly traded, no-load, socially responsible mutual funds: Ariel Fund, Ariel Appreciation Fund, Ariel Focus Fund and Ariel Discovery Fund. The Funds do not invest in corporations whose primary source of revenue is derived from the production or sale of tobacco products or the manufacture of handguns. Ariel Fund invests in companies with market capitalizations between $1 billion and $7.5 billion, Ariel Appreciation Fund invests in companies between $2 billion and $15 billion, Ariel Focus Fund invests in all-cap companies, and Ariel Discovery Fund invests in companies under $2 billion in market cap. For more information, please visit our website at www.arielinvestments.com or contact us at (312) 726-0140.
200 East Randolph Street, Suite 2900
Phone: (800) 292-7435
Fax: (312) 726-7473
Web: http://www.arielinvestments.com (Opens in a new window)
Minimum Account: $1,000
Screening Venue: In-house and outside
Research analysts, MSCI (ESG Manager)
Screening Database Used:
We use MSCI (ESG Manager) as our screening/research tool.
We do not invest in corporations whose primary source of revenue is derived from: the production or sale of tobacco products or the manufacture of handguns. We consider a company’s environmental record which includes reviewing research from outside vendors that provide such services. We encourage portfolio companies to have an open dialogue on: giving back to the community, a dedication to education, and proactive diversity practices.
Proxy Voting Guidelines or Policies: Available upon request.
Proxy Voting Records: Please contact Joseph A. Anderson, VP, Operations: (312) 726-0140
- Other Environmental: Positive Investment - There is no formal process; we consider the environmental risks of the company, but do so primarily through the use of MSCI (ESG Manager).
- Community Development: Positive Investment - We encourage portfolio companies to have an open dialogue on giving back to the community, a dedication to education and proactive diversity practices.
- Diversity & Equal Employment Opportunity: Positive Investment - We believe a company that cultivates diversity is more likely to attract and retain the best talent.
- Conflict Risk: No Investment
- Board Issues: Positive Investment - Our approach to corporate governance is interwoven with our investment philosophy. We want management teams that think like owners, have demonstrated a commitment and ability to build shareholder value, and operate with the highest level of integrity.
- Defense/Weapons: No Investment - We do not invest in firms whose primary source of revenue is derived from the manufacture of handguns.
- Tobacco: No Investment - We do not invest in firms whose primary revenue is derived from the production/sale of tobacco products.
Year-to-date rate of return: 5.96%
1-year rate of return: 18.55%
3-year rate of return: 12.6%
5-year rate of return: 12.47%
10-year rate of return: 11.39%
Previous year rate of return: 15.93%
Management fee: 0.59%
Expense ratio: 1%
Standard deviation: 11.28%
Benchmark used: Russell 2500 Value | External link (Opens in a new window)
Disclaimer: Investing in small- and mid-cap stocks is riskier and more volatile than investing in large-cap stocks. The intrinsic value of the stocks in which the Fund invests may never be recognized by the broader market. Ariel Fund often invests a significant portion of its assets in companies within the financial services and consumer discretionary sectors and its performance may suffer if these sectors underperform the overall stock market. Performance data quoted represents past performance. Past performance does not guarantee future results. All performance assumes the reinvestment of dividends and capital gains and represents returns of the Investor Class shares. The investment return and principal value of an investment will fluctuate so that an investor’s shares, when redeemed, may be worth more or less than their original cost. Current performance may be lower or higher than the performance data quoted. For the period ended June 30, 2016, the average annual total returns of Ariel Fund (Investor Class) for the 1-, 5- and 10-year periods were -10.13%, +8.65% and +6.22%, respectively. Ariel Fund’s Investor Class shares had an annual expense ratio of 1.03% for the year ended September 30, 2013. Performance data current to the most recent month-end for Ariel Fund may be obtained by visiting our website, arielinvestments.com. Investors should consider carefully the investment objectives, risks, and charges and expenses before investing. For a current summary prospectus or full prospectus which contains this and other information about the funds offered by Ariel Investment Trust, call us at 800-292-7435 or visit arielinvestments.com. Please read the summary prospectus or full prospectus carefully before investing. Distributed by Ariel Distributors, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Ariel Investments, LLC.