Assets under management (AUM): $494.92M (in US$ millions) - See other performance data below
General Fund Type: International, Global, Foreign
Specific Sizes or Types of Investments: Publicly traded equities (small, mid, and large cap, more heavily weighted in large cap)
Financial Objective: Long-term growth of capital
Specific ESG Focus: Portfolio 21 invests only in companies that are integrating intelligent and forward-thinking environmental strategies into their overall business planning.
To invest, call: 877-351-4115
Mutual Funds Description: Portfolio 21 Investments has been a pioneer in the field of social and environmental investing since 1982. Our concerns about the ecological crisis began three decades ago, and we continue to critically examine our assumptions and approach every day. We designed Portfolio 21 Investments to address the ecological risks and opportunities of the investment process in the 21st century. We recognize environmental sustainability as a fundamental human challenge and a tremendous business opportunity.
Minimum Account: $100,000
Screening Venue: In-house
Portfolio 21 ESG Research Analysts
Screening Database Used:
MSCI IVA, Trucost and GMI for initial ESG screens; internal sector research, proprietary environmental and governance criteria and scoring
The research process begins with a review of publicly traded companies worldwide, most of which are included in various well-known U.S. and international indices such as the S&P 500 and the MSCI World Equity indices. Through a series of evaluation steps, we narrow our selection to those companies that we believe may meet our ESG sector thesis and Principles for Investment. The selection process employs a bottom up approach, concentrating on the specific characteristics of each company and then qualifying the companies using financial and environmental, social and governance criteria appropriate to their industry groups. Due to the unique and specific nature of our environmental research, we have an in-house research team that utilizes data sources ranging from direct company interviews to reports by independent non-profit organizations. Our comprehensive financial and proprietary environmental analysis is designed to identify companies best equipped to manage the ecological risks of the 21st century.
Proxy Voting Guidelines or Policies: Open external link in new window
Proxy Voting Records: Open external link in new window
- Climate / Clean Technology: Positive Investment - The impacts of climate change are driving the demand for low or no GHG emitting technologies.
- Pollution / Toxics: Positive Investment - Reduced resource consumption and utilization of non-toxic substances drives competitiveness.
- Other Environmental: Positive Investment - Recognition of declining resources and viewing sustainability as a business opportunity are essential.
- Community Development: Positive Investment - Human health, community development and environmental responsibility are interrelated.
- Diversity & Equal Employment Opportunity: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment - Companies must uphold best practices for diversity and EEO.
- Human Rights: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment - Companies must meet our proactive Globalization, Human Rights & Social Justice Policy requirements.
- Labor Relations: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment - Companies must meet our proactive Globalization, Human Rights & Social Justice Policy requirements (see website for policy)
- Conflict Risk: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies - Portfolio 21 monitors if the company has programs, guidelines, and policies in place to avoid corrupt business dealings.
- Board Issues: Positive Investment - Seeking companies with Board leadership in environmental sustainability.
- Executive Pay: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment - Companies must uphold best practices for executive pay and avoid excessive compensation practices.
- Alcohol: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment - Portfolio 21 does not invest in companies involved exclusively in the alcoholic beverage industry, or in diversified companies that derive more than a small percentage of revenues from the manufacture of alcohol.
- Animal Welfare: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment - Animal testing is morally and scientifically inexcusable when alternatives exist.
- Defense/Weapons: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment - Defense contracting / weaponry involvement is evaluated for each company considered for investment.
- Gambling: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment - Revenues derived from gambling are evaluated for each company considered for investment.
- Tobacco: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment - Revenues derived from tobacco are evaluated for each company considered for investment.
- Other/Qualitative: Fossil Fuel: Portfolio 21 does not invest in companies directly involved in the extraction and production of fossil fuels ─ coal, oil, and natural gas. Natural gas has a lower greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions profile than either oil or coal. Despite natural gas’s lower GHG profile, it is a combustible mixture of hydrocarbon gases, formed primarily of methane. Deposits are found at varying depths beneath the Earth’s crust, both onshore and offshore, requiring the use of both conventional and unconventional extraction methods. Given the elevated environmental risks associated with extraction, Portfolio 21 will not invest in extraction and production. However, due to the current limitations of renewables (in terms of current capacity and financial attractiveness), and the lower GHG profile of natural gas, Portfolio 21 will invest in companies involved in the transmission and distribution of natural gas as well as in utilities that utilize natural gas as a fuel source. Nuclear: Portfolio 21 will invest only in energy companies that have limited capital investments dedicated to the expansion of new nuclear generation. We do not support the expansion of nuclear power because we consider the cost of new nuclear installations to be high relative to the environmental, health, and safety risks associated with nuclear reactors and waste. A typical reactor will generate 20 to 30 tons of high-level nuclear waste annually. There is no known way to safely dispose of this waste, which remains dangerously radioactive until it naturally decays, which according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency is approximately 10,000 years.
- Shareholder Engagement - Private Dialogue: Conducted with companies on environmental, social or governance issues
Year-to-date rate of return: -6.93%
1-year rate of return: -5.12%
3-year rate of return: 11.58%
5-year rate of return: 7.26%
10-year rate of return: 10.79%
Previous year rate of return: -6.89%
Management fee: 0.9%
Expense ratio: 1.08%
Standard deviation: 14.53%
Benchmark used: MSCI ACWI
Disclaimer: Mutual fund investing involves risk. Principal loss is possible. Portfolio 21 may invest in foreign securities, which are subject to the risks of currency fluctuations, political and economic instability and differences in accounting methods. Investing in foreign securities is riskier than investing in domestic securities. The fund invests in smaller companies, which involve additional risks such as limited liquidity and greater volatility. Portfolio 21's environmental policy could cause it to make or avoid investments that could result in the portfolio underperforming similar funds that do not have an environmental policy. There are no assurances that the fund will achieve its objective and/or strategy. The summary prospectus and statutory prospectus contain more complete information including risks, fees and expenses related to an ongoing investment in the Fund. Read carefully before you invest or send money. You may obtain a hard copy of the statutory prospectus and/or summary prospectus by calling 877-351-4115.