Assets under management (AUM): $179.03M (in US$ millions) - See other performance data below
General Fund Type: International, Global, Foreign
Specific Sizes or Types of Investments: --
Financial Objective: Outperform the MSCI World Index
Specific ESG Focus: The Appleseed Fund excludes companies that derive material revenues from fossil fuels companies, tobacco products, alcoholic beverages, gambling, weapon systems, pornography or 'Too-Big-to-Fail' Banking. At Appleseed, we examine a company's Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) factors when we evaluate an investment, when we communicate with management, and when we vote on shareholder initiatives.
To invest, call: 800-611-2187
Mutual Funds Description: Appleseed Capital is an independent wealth and investment management firm that focuses on outstanding research and disciplined impact investing strategies. Appleseed Capital strategies employ a go-anywhere value approach that integrates environmental, social and corporate governance (ESG) criteria to identify high quality investments which are also undervalued.
Minimum Account: $2,500
Screening Venue: In-house and outside
Appleseed Fund portfolio managers and analysts
Screening Database Used:
RiskMetrics Group and TrustSimon
We apply both negative and positive ESG screens to potential investments. We apply negative screens to avoid investment in companies in the fossil fuel industry, tobacco products, alcoholic beverages, gambling, weapons, and pornography. We then apply positive screens measuring company performance related to the environment, human rights, and human health. In addition, we allocate at least 1% of portfolio investments to community investing. When applying our ESG screens, we rely on external research (MSCI) and on our own analysts. We apply our ESG screens at the same time we apply our valuation screens. Only companies that meet both our ESG and valuation criteria qualify for inclusion in the Appleseed Fund.
Proxy Voting Guidelines or Policies: Call 800-470-1029
Proxy Voting Records: Call 800-470-1029
- Climate / Clean Technology: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies
- Pollution / Toxics: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies
- Other Environmental: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies
- Community Development: Positive Investment
- Human Rights: Positive Investment
- Labor Relations: Positive Investment
- Conflict Risk: No Investment
- Board Issues: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies
- Executive Pay: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies
- Alcohol: No Investment - Excludes companies with more than 5% of revenues derived from alcohol products.
- Animal Welfare: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies
- Defense/Weapons: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment - Exclude companies with more than 5% of revenues derived from weapons.
- Gambling: No Investment - Exclude companies with more than 5% of revenues derived from gambling.
- Tobacco: No Investment - Excludes companies with more than 5% of revenues derived from tobacco.
- Shareholder Engagement - Shareholder Resolutions: Filed or co-filed with companies on environmental, social or governance issues
- Shareholder Engagement - Private Dialogue: Conducted with companies on environmental, social or governance issues
- Description of Shareholder Engagement: The Appleseed Fund shareholder advocacy efforts, as initiated by Pekin Singer Strauss, encourage boards and management teams to be more transparent and responsible for environmental, social, and governance (ESG) matters. We believe investors can have significant influence on the companies they own through informal engagement, through proxy voting and through shareholder resolutions.
Year-to-date rate of return: -0.15%
1-year rate of return: 6.62%
3-year rate of return: 7.06%
5-year rate of return: 3.67%
10-year rate of return: 7.32%
Previous year rate of return: 17.48%
Management fee: 0.85%
Expense ratio: 1.2%
Standard deviation: 8.78%
Benchmark used: MSCI World