About This Strategy - [Return to Top]
Assets Under Management (AUM): $1M (in US$ millions)
Required Minimum: --
Benchmark used: S&P 500 Composite Total Return
Strategy type: Equity Specialty
Strategy description: Appleseed Long/Short ESG is a fundamental value strategy with a core focus on integrating Environmental, Social and Corporate Governance (ESG) factors. With an emphasis on margin of safety and capital preservation, this strategy implements a fundamental bottom-up research approach to identify high conviction positions in a range of asset classes from markets around the world. We seek to apply ESG criteria to identify investments on both the long and short side of the portfolio.
Strategy web link: www.appleseedcapital.com
About The Company - [Return to Top]
Appleseed Capital, division of Pekin Singer Strauss Asset Management
Approach to Sustainable & Responsible Investment: Pekin Singer Strauss Asset Management, adviser to the Appleseed Capital strategies, was founded in 1990 and is dedicated to delivering superior risk-adjusted investment returns to investors. Our approach is value-oriented in that we seek to minimize downside risk to the principal value of clients’ capital. We use a fundamental, bottom-up approach to investing, and we have delivered solid, market-beating investment results for our clients over time. We examine a company's Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) factors when we evaluate an investment, when we communicate with management, and when we vote on shareholder initiatives.
Total AUM in SRI: $190M (in US$ millions)
Research conducted: Internally
Researcher name: Portfolio Managers
Specific Screening Information by Category - [Return to Top]
- Climate / Clean Technology: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies - While screening out criteria defined as companies that produce or refine coal, oil and gas, oil field services, equipment companies, and pipeline operators, we seek out investments in alternative energies such as solar and wind power. We also seek to invest in undervalued companies which are reducing the need for energy or providing alternative transportation products and services that reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- Pollution / Toxics: Positive Investment
- Other Environmental: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies - We look for to invest in undervalued companies with strong environmental records and ideally who market a product or service which is beneficial for the environment.
- Human Rights: Positive Investment
- Sudan: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment
- Board Issues: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies
- Executive Pay: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies
- Alcohol: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment
- Animal Welfare: No Screens
- Defense/Weapons: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment
- Gambling: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment
- Tobacco: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment
- Shareholder Engagement - Shareholder Resolutions: Filed or co-filed with companies on environmental, social or governance issues
- Shareholder Engagement - Private Dialogue: Conducted with companies on environmental, social or governance issues
- Proxy Voting: Actively voted by my institution for this investment strategy in support of environmental, social or governance issues in accordance with formal guidelines