Assets under management (AUM): $4.14M (in US$ millions) - See other performance data below
General Fund Type: International, Global, Foreign
Specific Sizes or Types of Investments: Global large- and mid-cap equities
Financial Objective: Capital appreciation.
Specific ESG Focus: The Saturna Sustainable Equity Funds seeks to invest in companies that demonstrate sustainable characteristics with low environmental, social, and governance risk profiles. Sustainable issuers tend to be larger, more established, consistently profitable, and financially strong. To help reduce risk, the fund invests in globally diversified portfolio across industries, companies, and countries. Saturna believes that sustainable investing includes identifying how a company forms a competitive business advantage relative to its peers while focusing on the key sustainability factors that materially impact its industry. Saturna’s analysts actively seek companies who are leaders and solutions providers in addressing resource efficiency; these early adopters have the potential to reduce risk and form a competitive advantage relative to their peers. In addition to material and non financial ESG considerations, the Saturna Sustainable Funds seek investments in issuers with: •Sustainable profits • Management strength • Risk consciousness • Low debt • A strong balance sheet • High quality operations •Long-term focus • Established businesses
To invest, call: 1-800-728-8762
Mutual Funds Description: Values-Based Global Asset Managers, Saturna Capital Corporation, adviser to the Saturna Sustainable, Amana, Sextant, and Idaho Tax-Exempt Funds, uses years of investment experience to aid investors in navigating today's volatile markets. Founded in 1989 by professionals with extensive experience, Saturna has helped individuals and institutions build wealth, earn income, and preserve capital.
Minimum Account: 10,000
Screening Venue: In-house
Saturna Capital's Research Team
Screening Database Used:
Saturna Capital's proprietary database, in conjunction with external sources which include FactSet, Bloomberg, and CSR Hub.
Saturna’s research team screens over 10,000 global securities per month. Negative screens are applied to
exclude issuers engaged in alcohol, tobacco, firearms and gambling. Over 2,000 liquid issuers are then rated on multiple environmental, social, and governance risk factors, adjusted by industry sector, along with financial performance metrics; highly leveraged issuers are rarely considered for inclusion in the sustainable portfolios. Saturna is committed to analyzing an issuer’s strength through a holistic lens. Issuers are given a total score and compared against industry competitors, then plotted by percentile and given an overall ranking of “A” through “F.” Only the issuers that receive an “A” or “B” ranking are considered for Saturna’s sustainable funds.
Proxy Voting Guidelines or Policies: Open external link in new window
Proxy Voting Records: Open external link in new window
- Climate / Clean Technology: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies - Saturna Sustainable Funds seek carbon efficiency for their portfolios, where tons of carbon per $1 million of revenue is substantially lower than a broad-based peer group.
- Pollution / Toxics: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies - Saturna evaluates an issuer’s waste and emissions as part of the fundamental analysis process; pollution and toxic emissions are weighted more heavily among issuers whose industries produce the greatest environmental impact.
- Other Environmental: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies - Saturna seeks and supports issuers who take resource efficiency seriously by integrating it into their business plan; by potentially reducing vulnerability to resource scarcity issues, Saturna believes these issuers will decrease long term business risk.
- Community Development: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies - Saturna seeks issuers that are positive corporate citizens characterized by having low business risks in the area of community development. Factors such as charitable giving, protection of public health, and land use are evaluated during the fundamental analysis process.
- Diversity & Equal Employment Opportunity: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies - Saturna values diversity and inclusion, and seeks issuers who do the same. Factors such as an issuer’s commitment to equal opportunity regardless of gender, age, ethnicity, religion and sexual orientation are evaluated during the fundamental analysis process.
- Human Rights: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies - Saturna seeks issuers with sound ethics and low business risks relating to human rights. Factors such as child labor, forced or compulsory labor, and nondiscrimination – both on behalf of the issuer and along the issuer’s supply chain – are evaluated during the fundamental analysis process.
- Labor Relations: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies - Saturna is committed to being an excellent employer and seeks issuers of a similar mindset, with low business risks relating to labor relations. Factors such as employee safety policies, fair wage policies, and equal opportunity policies are evaluated during the fundamental analysis process.
- Board Issues: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies - Saturna seeks issuers with particularly strong governance systems. Factors such as board diversity, independence, compliance, and effectiveness are evaluated during the fundamental analysis process, and are believed to contribute to an issuer’s longterm, sustainable viability.
- Executive Pay: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies - Saturna believes that executive pay should be commensurate with executive performance, and places a great emphasis on evaluating an issuer’s financial stability and performance. Saturna reviews executive ownership in the company as part of the evaluation process.
- Alcohol: No Investment - Saturna excludes issuers engaged in this activity.
- Animal Welfare: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies - Saturna carefully considers the ethics and positive and negative impacts of animal welfare issues, such as animal testing in pharmaceutical laboratories, during the fundamental analysis process.
- Defense/Weapons: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies - Saturna excludes investments in firearms, and carefully considers the social value and impacts of other investments in this category.
- Gambling: No Investment - Saturna excludes issuers engaged in this activity.
- Tobacco: No Investment - Saturna excludes issuers engaged in this activity.
- Other/Qualitative: The Fund seeks issuers with: sustainable profits, strong balance sheets, management strength, high quality operations, risk consciousness, long-term focus, low debt, and established businesses.
Year-to-date rate of return: 10.02%
1-year rate of return: 11.6%
3-year rate of return: --
5-year rate of return: --
10-year rate of return: --
Previous year rate of return: -1.43%
Management fee: 0.65%
Expense ratio: 0.99%
Standard deviation: 7.08%
Benchmark used: S&P Global 1200 | External link (Opens in a new window)
Disclaimer: Please consider an investment's objectives, risks, charges, and expenses carefully before investing. To obtain this and other important information about Saturna Sustainable Equity Fund in a current prospectus or summary prospectus, please visit www.saturna.com or call toll free 1-800-728-8762. Please read the prospectus or summary prospectus carefully before investing. Investing involves risk, including possible loss of principal. Investing in foreign securities involves risks not typically associated directly with investing in US securities. These risks include currency and market fluctuations, and political or social instability. The risks of foreign investing are generally magnified in the smaller and more volatile securities markets of the developing world. The Saturna Sustainable Equity Fund limits the securities it purchases to those consistent with sustainable principles. This limits opportunities and may affect performance. The Fund began operations on March 27, 2015. Performance data quoted represents past performance which is no guarantee of future results. Investment return and principal value of an investment will fluctuate so that an investor's shares, when redeemed, may be worth more or less than their original cost. Current performance may be higher or lower than performance data quoted. Standardized returns current to the most recent month-end can be obtained by visiting www.saturna.com or by calling toll free 1-800-728-8762. The Saturna Sustainable Equity Fund is distributed by Saturna Brokerage Services, Inc., member FINRA/SIPC and a wholly-owned subsidiary of Saturna Capital Corporation, investment adviser to the Fund. Saturna Brokerage Services and US SIF are not affiliated.