Assets under management (AUM): $151.95M (in US$ millions) - See other performance data below
General Fund Type: International, Global, Foreign
Specific Sizes or Types of Investments: Emerging Market Equities
Financial Objective: The Fund seeks long-term capital appreciation by investing primarily in equity securities of companies located in emerging market countries.
Specific ESG Focus: The Fund believes that the long-term performance of companies operating in long established and/or emerging markets alike depends on progress towards sustainable development. The Fund seeks to invest in companies whose products/services and/or industrial/business practices contribute towards addressing one or more global sustainability challenges in their local and/or international markets.
To invest, call: 800-368-2748
Calvert Research and Management
Mutual Funds Description: Established in 1976, Calvert is a diversified investment management firm serving individual and institutional investors. Offers a wide array of products including more than 40 equity and fixed income mutual funds, workplace retirement options, and a national 529 college savings program. Recognized as a leader in taxable bond investing, Calvert also manages the largest family of mutual funds in the US that feature integrated environmental, social, and governance research.
Minimum Account: $2,000
Screening Venue: In-house
Calvert’s Sustainability Analysts
Screening Database Used:
Calvert Proprietary Database
Development, Poverty and Health:
• Promoting economic development, income generation and poverty reduction
• Improving quality of life in poor households and communities
• Supporting agricultural innovation and food security
• Providing access to safe medicines and low-cost health care
• Expanding digital access and mobile communications for underserved communities and populations
Environment and Climate Change:
• Mitigating and adapting to climate change and other environmental challenges
• Enhancing access to clean water and sanitation infrastructure
Rights and Governance:
• Respecting human rights, labor rights, and Indigenous Peoples’ rights in local communities/workplaces
• Fostering gender equity and diversity in workplaces and local communities
• Overcoming corruption through transparency and improved governance.
In addition to evaluating companies according to these criteria, investments are also evaluated according to the Fund’s threshold responsibility standards with respect to tobacco, weapons and human rights. The Fund has the following threshold responsibility standards which are applied in determining whether a security qualifies as an investment for the Fund:
• The Fund will seek to avoid investing in companies that manufacture tobacco products.
• The Fund will seek to avoid investing in companies that manufacture, design or sell weapons or the critical components of weapons that violate international humanitarian law.
• The Fund will critically evaluate companies that significantly support governments that are under U.S. or international sanction for grave human rights abuses such as genocide or forced labor.
Proxy Voting Guidelines or Policies: Open external link in new window
Proxy Voting Records: Open external link in new window
- Climate / Clean Technology: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies - .
- Pollution / Toxics: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies
- Other Environmental: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies
- Community Development: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies
- Diversity & Equal Employment Opportunity: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies
- Human Rights: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies
- Labor Relations: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies
- Board Issues: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies
- Executive Pay: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies
- Alcohol: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment
- Animal Welfare: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment
- Defense/Weapons: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment
- Gambling: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment
- Tobacco: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment
Year-to-date rate of return: 12.5%
1-year rate of return: 15.32%
3-year rate of return: 3.75%
5-year rate of return: --
10-year rate of return: --
Previous year rate of return: 6.55%
Management fee: 1%
Expense ratio: 1.27%
Standard deviation: 10.3%
Benchmark used: MSCI EM NR USD | External link (Opens in a new window)
Disclaimer: Investment in mutual funds involves risk, including possible loss of principal invested. You could lose money on your investment in the Fund, or the Fund could underperform, because of the following risks: the market prices of stocks held by the Fund may fall; individual investments of the Fund may not perform as expected, and/or the Fund's portfolio management practices may not achieve the desired result. Investing in foreign securities involves additional risks relating to political, social, and economic developments abroad; differences between the regulations that apply to U.S. and foreign issuers and markets; the potential for foreign markets to be less liquid and more volatile than U.S. markets; and currency risk associated with securities that trade or are denominated in currencies other than the U.S. dollar. In addition, the risks of investing in emerging market securities are greater than those of investing in securities of developed foreign countries. The Fund is non-diversified and may be more volatile than a diversified fund.