Assets under management (AUM): $184.08M (in US$ millions) - See other performance data below
General Fund Type: Equity Large Cap
Specific Sizes or Types of Investments: --
Financial Objective: The Walden Equity Fund seeks long-term capital growth through an actively managed portfolio of stocks.
Specific ESG Focus: The Fund integrates environmental, social and governance (ESG) analysis into the investment selection and company engagement process. Among the issues on which Walden evaluates companies and pursues shareholder engagement are: product safety and desirability, workplace policies and practices, environmental impact, community impact and corporate governance and accountability. The Fund actively promotes corporate accountability and positive change through company dialogue and shareholder resolutions, proxy voting, public policy initiatives, and educational outreach. In doing so, the Fund encourages companies to recognize that the sustainability of their profits is connected, in part, to how they treat workers, customers, communities and the natural environment as valuable, long-term assets.
To invest, call: Lindsey Lane, Business Development Analyst, 617-726-7257
Walden Asset Management
Minimum Account: $100,000
Screening Venue: In-house
Walden Asset Management, Boston Trust Management
Screening Database Used:
Proxy Voting Guidelines or Policies: Open external link in new window
Proxy Voting Records: Open external link in new window
- Climate / Clean Technology: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies - Walden Asset Management shares our clients’ deep concern regarding climate change. To achieve the global emissions reduction required to avoid catastrophic climate change, we believe that priority number one is to develop, enact, and enforce strong public policies that place a price on carbon. Since U.S. and global economic growth remain inextricably linked to fossil fuel use during the transition to a more carbon-constrained environment, the Walden mutual funds pursue a multi-pronged approach that integrates climate change risk in investment decision-making, corporate engagement, and public policy advocacy. Walden favors investment in companies with products and processes promoting energy efficiency and natural resource conservation; strong and transparent greenhouse gas reduction policies, goals, programs, and results; and supportive and consistent public policy positions. More proactively, Walden looks for opportunities to invest in companies with innovative, solutions-oriented technologies such as energy and fuel efficiency, carbon sequestration or renewable energy development. Walden’s investment approach results in portfolios with favorable carbon footprints relative to those of comparable benchmarks.
- Pollution / Toxics: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies - Proactively seeks companies with innovative products, services or processes with respect to investment themes such as energy solutions, resource efficiency and waste reduction.
- Other Environmental: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies - Proactively seeks companies with innovative products, services or processes with respect to investment themes such as energy solutions, resource efficiency and waste reduction.
- Community Development: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies
- Diversity & Equal Employment Opportunity: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies
- Human Rights: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment - Avoid companies believed to have significant complicity in serious violations of human rights.
- Labor Relations: Combination of Positive and Restricted/Exclusionary Strategies
- Alcohol: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment - Avoid companies that derive significant revenues from the manufacture of alcoholic beverages.
- Animal Welfare: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment - Avoid companies with significant substandard performances on animal testing (inadequate policies on humane treatment, minimizing use, support of alternative testing).
- Defense/Weapons: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment - Avoid companies that derive significant revenues from the manufacture of weapons.
- Gambling: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment - Avoid companies that derive significant revenues from gaming activities.
- Tobacco: Restricted/Exclusionary Investment - Avoid companies that derive significant revenues from the manufacture of tobacco products.
- Shareholder Engagement - Shareholder Resolutions: Filed or co-filed with companies on environmental, social or governance issues
- Shareholder Engagement - Private Dialogue: Conducted with companies on environmental, social or governance issues
Year-to-date rate of return: 4.89%
1-year rate of return: 14.12%
3-year rate of return: 8.29%
5-year rate of return: 10.52%
10-year rate of return: 7.67%
Previous year rate of return: 11.8%
Management fee: 0.75%
Expense ratio: 1%
Standard deviation: 6.44%
Benchmark used: S&P 500 Composite Total Return
Disclaimer: Equity securities (stocks) are generally more volatile and carry more risk than fixed income securities (bonds) and money market investments. The net asset value per share of this Fund will fluctuate as the value of the securities in the portfolio changes. Common stocks, and funds investing in common stocks, generally provide greater returns over long time periods than fixed income securities. Foreign investing involves risks not typically associated with U.S. investments, including adverse political, social and economic developments and differing auditing and legal standards. The Fund is comprised primarily of equity and fixed income securities and is subject to market risk. Stocks may decline due to general market and economic conditions or due to company specific prospects and circumstances. Please see the Fund’s prospectus for additional information.